Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Nice Slow Walk in Sunlight

My baby is two months old today!

Today I took a nice, slow walk to my friend's house, just the other side of the church. I'm guessing I went about 1.1 to 1.3 miles total.

It was slow, but the sun was out - which is a little bit uncommon in February in Utah. The reason it was slow was because on Sunday night my back gave out. It had been sore for a couple of days, and steadily getting more painful, but I was trying to ignore it and go about my life as usual. I woke up at about 3 am Monday morning and nursed, sitting up on my bed, though it was quite painful to do so. At 6 am we woke up again, and I realized that I could not sit up to nurse the baby, nor could I carry him across the room to his changing pad to take care of his leaking diaper. During the day on Monday my husband worked from home, and Tuesday my dad visited to help with the baby. (Tuesday night my dad got sick, but that's another story.) Anyway, the daily activities I could do were definitely all the exercise I could handle the last two days, but I was grateful to feel well enough to go on that walk today. My recovery has been pretty fast, like it was the last time my back went out (one week before my first triathlon). However, recovering to the point that I have done in the past, where I can walk and bend a little bit and take care of myself again, is no longer sufficient. Now I need to be able to lift an almost-13-pound baby and carry him up the stairs! I can barely walk up the stairs by myself, even now. Oh, and our house is a split level - so we have three sets of stairs, and there is no bathroom or bed on the kitchen level, so you really have to do the stairs several times in any given day, unless someone else is waiting on you hand and foot. 

As always, I must get stronger! It's the only way I can see out of this mess. Next week I get to go back to the gym. I'm really looking forward to it. Until then, I think it will be more walking, as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment