Saturday, February 1, 2014

Sleep vs Exercise

If it is morning, and I am faced with a choice between sleep and exercise, I will usually choose sleep because I hold out hope that I can exercise later in the day.

Sometimes, whether because of sleep or just other activities (today it was errands in the morning and later, friends coming over for dinner) "later in the day" becomes MUCH later, like tonight when it is 11:25 and I am just getting on the treadmill.

And now, the baby wakes up.

(15 minutes later I began my workout, after feeding the baby and getting him to sleep.)

As you can see below, I completed my 20 minutes. What is more, I kept my heart rate between 160 and 165 for 10 minutes. To begin, I had decided I wanted to start keeping my heart rate up to 160 for 20 minutes, three days a week. After tonight, it is clear to me that I need to start with less than that. During pregnancy, I wasn't supposed to get my heart rate above 150, and after 15 weeks I had to quit doing even that because I started spotting (threatening to miscarry). Thus I know it has been since at least last July since I worked my heart this hard, and I can feel it! Also, my shins are telling me that I need to stretch better, and my lower back is warning me about my combination of steepness and speed. I may need to take it slower for awhile still, but as long as I continue, eventually I will progress.
Baby slept on the bed beside the treadmill through the entire workout!


No comments:

Post a Comment