Saturday, December 15, 2012

Why "triMATHlete"?

I first became a math major because it required less credits to graduate than any other major. By the time I realized what I'd gotten myself into, I was close enough to graduation that I didn't want the setback of changing majors.

And, somewhere along the way, I realized that my true passion was teaching. So, even though it was challenging to be a math major, I knew that I could do what I wanted after graduation anyway.

I've taught in my own classroom, part time, for the last four years. Last year the school almost bent over backward to allow me to stay part time; they had hired me part time, but after the school year started they added enough classes to the schedule that three other teachers had to give up their prep periods for me to stay part time. I was sooo grateful! This year, though, they needed to add even more classes to the schedule, and rather than hire someone additional part time, they asked me to go full time or not at all. So, I've returned to "Domestic Engineering", which was my previous career anyway.

I am still active in Math Education; I now come as a guest speaker for groups of students, parents, and teachers. My goals are to support and inspire them. I absolutely love what I do, and I especially love that I now have the scheduling flexibility to keep my family first.

No comments:

Post a Comment